As if everything wasn’t crazy enough…

So my main focus for the last week or so has been getting ready to host Thanksgiving dinner for my family.

My Parents are (as we speak) on their way here. Tomorrow my sister will be coming over as well as my brother and his family.  Including us, we will have 11 for dinner. (that includes 2 2.5 year olds and a 1-year-old.)

I’ve been planning, shopping, cleaning and organizing.

So, naturally in the midst of this turkey day prep chaos…

My darling toddler is sick.

It started with a fever Thursday night/friday morning.  Midnight, when your husband is out of tow,  is a bad time to realize that you don’t have any children’s Tylenol.  That little discovery resulted in a middle of the night trip to Walgreens with the children in tow. Woo.

She wasnt showing any other symptoms than the fever.. she wasn’t even acting like she didn’t feel good for that matter.

By Sunday the fever still hadn’t broken and you could tell that she was starting to feel yucky.  I also realized that her pee smelled weird. lovely.

I was definitely going to try to get her into the Doctor monday morning.

Oh, wait- let me go back for a sec… I also discovered that my good thermometer (the in the ear kind) was MIA. The last time I remember using it was when I was sick in July. I have no idea where on earth it is hiding. And I searched high and low. I had been trying to take her temp with a digital thermometer under her arm… which proved to be very challenging at times. Sunday afternoon hubby went and bought a new-fangled infrared one. It’s supposed to be the most accurate, and you just swipe it across the forehead.

Anyway- we took her temp before we were going to go to bed (with the newfangled one) and it said it was 104.7. We kind of freaked out. We checked our own temps, both normal. And took hers again 104.7.  I took it with the digital under her arm- 104.5

Maybe it is right? Maybe it’s not. she felt pretty hot… but we weren’t sure if she was that hot.. So in the spirit of better safe than sorry, we headed to the ER.

We took it in the car when we got there and it said 102. The triage nurse took it and it was 101.8. Eh.. I guess we were close.

So, two hours and an incredibly traumatizing (for all of us) urine sample later… (which she also ended up peeing all over the nurse. oops!)

My baby has a urinary tract infection. Ugh.

Before I continue with my saga- here are a few observations from our night at the ER:

1. The women all had pajamas on and the Men were dressed. (I was wearing sweat pants, but yes they were my pj’s)

2. The registration woman thought I sounded “Not from here.” Whatever that means. I think that is the third time ever someone has noticed I’m really an east-coaster at my core.

3. Any question involving numbers, or any sort of personal information for that matter is a trick question after midnight and your kid is sick.

4. Walgreens 24 hour pharmacy is required by law to close from 2:30-3:00am.

5. Any question involving numbers or personal information when your kid is sick at the pharmacy is also a trick question.

6. I apparently get a little to forthcoming with the information when chatting with the pharmacist at 2:30am. Sorry.

Monday is pretty much a blur. I didn’t sleep well. I was awake and asleep again more times than I’d like to count. 

We tried to give her the antibiotics before hubby went to work… that didn’t work out so well. She took it and proceeded to puke it all back up. Lovely.

I’m sorry, but 2 teaspoons of gooey yucky tasting cherry liquid is virtually impossible to get into a 2-year-old. Let alone, twice a day for 10 days.

My focus of Monday once I dragged my butt out of bed was getting her to eat or drink. Mostly drink. Everything I offered her was “No!” “No way!” “Leave me alone!”

Finally sometime in the afternoon i convinced her to eat some ice cream! At least it was something.

Once her fever was down she ate a little of the meat loaf I was eating for dinner, she had some milk.. we were hopeful for antibiotics again..

We gave it a whirl… PUKE. UGH.

Sometime before it was 5, I called her Doctor. Of course they wanted to see her. We got a nice early appointment at 9:15.

It was a rough night. After fighting with her to get the ibuprofen in her, I think I finally got to sleep at 3:30? 4? I’m not really sure. All I know is that I passed out, and at 8:15 I was awakened by a 12-year-old letting me know I should probably get up. We had to leave by 8:30.

So, I threw some clothes on, brushed my teeth and got the Sicky up. I didn’t have time to take her temp, or get any medicine in her, since that would have taken another half hour.

The highlights of the Doctor visit-

I was puked on x2. Luckily it was just apple juice but EWWWWWW!

She spent a lot of time screaming at the top of her lungs because she didn’t want the motrin they were trying to give her, because they wouldn’t let us leave until the fever was down.

We finally got her to drink it sneaking it into her juice.

and the Dr. is ordering her two tests… an ultrasound of her kidneys, and something else that I can’t remember the name of, but it’s not going to be fun for anyone.

Yeesh. what a day. and by the time we left it was only 11:00.

i still had 2 doses of antibiotics to figure out how I was going to get them into her… and more Tylenol.. or ibuprofen… and a house to finish cleaning, and laundry to do… UGH.

It’s really hard to focus on the positive when there is so much negative swirling around you.

The good news, is that after much screaming and crying.. and it took almost all day, we got almost a whole dose of antibiotics into her yesterday. I am determined to get both into her today. So far I’ve gotten about 3/4 of a dose.

Chocolate seems to help it go down better. And I’ve found I can only give her about a 1/4 tsp at a time or there is puking. So, we are just taking our time.. granted I have to wrap her in a towel like a cat to get her to almost hold still… but you gotta do what you gotta do I suppose.

So, that’s where we are. Hopefully if we can get the rest of the medicine in her today her fever should be better tomorrow.. otherwise we will probably be heading back to the doctor or hospital. Keep your fingers crossed.

Now, I’m off to clean the bathroom before my parents get here.. and then it’s pie baking time!

Yay Pies!

*Since I finished writing that, and got sidetracked without posting it- We have been fever free for a couple hours! YAY! And i got the entire dose into her!

Finally… I am on to the pies!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s